Tuesday, August 16, 2016
Sunday, July 17, 2016
The planning is complete and our bags are packed. We began scouting out this trip many months ago, so I can hardly believe that the departure is finally upon us. Here is our itinerary:
- NYC >> London >> Cape Town - Four days in Cape Town to see the sights and get over jet lag at Welgelegen Hotel. In addition to local sightseeing, we plan to visit Cape Point at the Cape of Good Hope and the renowned Winelands of South Africa.
- Cape Town >> Kruger National Park - After flying from Cape Town to Nelspruit to Ulusaba, we will be on safari in Sabi Sands Private Game Reserve for three nights, staying at Dulini Lodge. Hoping for giraffe, elephants, and lions!
- Kruger National Park >> Hazyview, S.A. - This is a "panoramic tour" for one day to see some of the natural beauty that Kruger has to offer. We will stay at The Rissington Inn.
- Hazyview >> Victoria Falls - We will fly via Johannesburg to Livingstone, Zambia to visit Victoria Falls. This will take us into Zimbabwe, as well, and we will spend two nights at the Victoria Falls Hotel.
- Victoria Falls >> Botswana - We will fly in a small plane to the Okavango Delta where we will begin our 2nd safari, staying four nights at Little Kwara Camp. Being the dry season, we expect the wildlife sighting to be superb, including a vast variety of birds which is bound to make Clay very happy!
- Botswana >> Johannesburg >> London >> NYC -- all in one day! What were we thinking?!
I have spent the last few months engrossed in reading books, fiction and non-fiction, placed in South Africa and Botswana. These include:
- A Dry White Season by André Brink
- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
- Whatever You Do, Don't Run by Peter Allison
- The Cry of the Kalahari by Mark Owens and Cordelia Owens
- The #1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
So enough of the preparation and planning, don't you think? It's time to have the experience!